Today: Disassembling a printer; Starlink Gateways Geo Locations (2024-02-09)

Are you looking for the perfect gift for elementary school girls? Look no further! I got https://www.ifixit.com/ tools with the mat for my daughters. We spent hours today disassembling a 2007 Brother laser printer. (The printer still works, but we swapped it for a newer/faster/higher pixel density one.)

There are lots of goodies inside a printer:

• we learned that gears are greasy (and dug deep into why)
  • we found some LEDs (and possibly damaged some of them with high voltage)
  • pulled out a fan and plugged it into a Bose 12v power supply (old speakers) and had a blast
    • the girls are thinking about making a battery operated portable fan for their aunt
  • measured the voltage of the Bose power supply and learned about what’s safe and what’s not
    • if it measures above 50-60 V - may be safe
    • never plug any of this equipment in outlets - 110/220V could kill you
    • 24V, 12V and below is totally ok
  • we found the box with the laser, were alarmed by a bright yellow warning in several languages informing us that the laser could damage our vision, and decided to postpone disassembling this

Starlink PoPs (Gateways?)

I’ve been wondering for awhile where Starlink Points of Presence (PoPs) are. My understanding is that Starlink customers’ traffic is routed to a gateway (PoP) within their country of residence. Perhaps this avoids a plethora of legal issues that arise from running an ISP in different countries with different laws.

• Stallink publishes RFC 8805 for their PoPs (RFC 8805 provides a standardized format for self-published IP geolocation): https://geoip.starlinkisp.net/
    • the domain starlinkisp.net is owned by Space Exploration Technologies Corporation (AS 14593 SPACEX-STARLINK)
  • Visualization of the above PoP list: Starlink

Note: There is a subtle difference between a PoP and a Gateway - it is not yet clear to me what geo.starlinkisp.net is a list of?