Making Pixel Art with Aseprite + Open Solaris + XEDIT/KEDIT/THE + dialup 🙉 (2024-01-30)

Pixel Art

Today Make Your Own Pixel Art arrived from No Starch Press.

The book is super cute!

We bought Aseprite and are having a blast making pixel art as per the book’s instructions.

Expect new site logo soon!!

OpenSolaris & Searching through Source Code

I haven’t given up looking for details on the platform that hosted Open Solaris’ source code back in 2005. The Internet Archive has some high level https://web.archive.org/web/20050617021345/http://cvs.opensolaris.org:80/source/xref/usr/src/lib/ but nothing revealing the underlying software that renders the code etc.

Today, however, I discovered this directory, which reveals served by {OpenGrok on Java.

While researching what {OpenGrok is - I ran into:

Text Editor History (continued)

Something got me wondering about the time period of when the XEDIT text editor was created. As a reminder (from wikipedia) XEDIT was written by IBM employee Xavier de Lamberterie and was first released in 1980 for the IBM VM/CMS operating systems. XEDIT was developed by IBM and as such was proprietary software. There were also various XEDIT-inspired editors such as KEDIT and THE (The Hessling Editor).

XEDIT-style screen layout

A question I asked chatGPT:

Is KEdit considered a line-oriented editor?

Answer (abbreviated): "KEdit is a derivative of IBM’s XEDIT and is not purely a line-oriented editor. It is a hybrid text editor. It combines features of both line-oriented and full-screen editors.

In traditional line-oriented editors, like the early versions of ed or ex, users interact with text one line at a time, usually through a command-line interface. This approach is different from full-screen editors like vi or Emacs, where the entire text or a large portion of it is displayed, and users can navigate and edit anywhere within this text.

KEdit, like XEDIT, provides a full-screen editing environment where users can see and interact with multiple lines of text at once. It includes features like block commands, graphical display of text, and the ability to navigate and edit text in a manner similar to modern text editors. However, it retains some characteristics of line-oriented editors, such as a strong emphasis on line-based commands and the ability to process and manipulate text one line at a time."

dialup